If the license of your Windows 10 computer has been deactivated because you have recently made some changes to your computer hardware like motherboard change or any other then reading this article will surely help you to resolve this issue. When you install Windows 10 on your computer, the digital license gets connected automatically with your device’s hardware. And, that’s why making some changes to the hardware results into the deactivation of Windows license.
Follow the given steps to reactivate your Windows 10 license
Firstly, you have to link your Windows license to your Microsoft account. Or, just check if it is already connected to your Microsoft Account.
- Head to your computer’s Settings by pressing Win + I button.
- Now, move towards Update & Security option and click on the Activation tab.
- If you see “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account” under Windows option on the right it means that your account is already linked. If not, then click on Add an account.
- Enter the name and password of your Microsoft account and hit Sign in button.
If you have correctly followed this path then you will see “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account” message on your computer screen. Now, let’s start with the procedure of reactivating Windows with the Activation Troubleshooter.
How To Reactivate Windows 10
To do this, you need to run the Activation Troubleshooter so that it can scan your PC for new hardware, and also update the same info on your linked Microsoft account.
Follow the given steps:
- Open Settings on your PC and click Update & Security.
- Now, hit on the Activation tab and move towards the Troubleshoot option.
- Next, click on I changed hardware on this device recently, and hit on the Next.
- Type your Microsoft account name and the password and also, the secret keys for your local computer.
- Hit Sign In. You will see a list of registered devices on the screen from which you need to select your device. Click on the box that says “This is the device I’m using right now.”
- Now, click on the Activate button.
You will be required to enter the product key on Windows 10. If you don’t have it then, you can purchase it from Microsoft Store. However, if you have your computer came with the old version of Windows and you upgraded it in windows 10 then you will be required the same old product key to upgrade Windows 10. After changing the hardware on your computer, you can go to Start> Settings> Update & Security> Activation> Change Product Key, then fill up the product key in the given box.